4/3/2025
Today from Hiiraan Online:  _
advertisements
Al-Shabaab fighters surrender in Somalia’s Southwest State


Wednesday April 2, 2025



Four former Al-Shabaab fighters stand for a photo after surrendering to authorities in Baidoa, Somalia’s Southwest State, on April 1, 2025. Regional officials say the men defected amid intensified military operations and airstrikes targeting the militant group in southern Somalia. (SUPPLIED)


Baidoa (HOL) — Four former fighters from the Al-Shabaab militant group have surrendered to police in Somalia’s Southwest State, regional officials said Wednesday, amid ongoing military offensives and increased aerial strikes targeting the group.

The men turned themselves in to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Baidoa after operating in the Bay, Bakool, and Lower Jubba regions, where they were involved in active combat. Authorities say the defectors were present during battles that claimed the lives of many Al-Shabaab members, including a clash in Buulo Xaaji in Jubbaland.

Speaking to regional officials, the men said they had been seeking a safe way to escape the group for months but were unable to do so due to fear of reprisal and surveillance by Al-Shabaab commanders. They said their decision to surrender was driven largely by the trauma of surviving multiple airstrikes that killed several of their comrades.

“We could no longer endure the constant airstrikes,” one of the men said. “Many of our friends died. We knew it was only a matter of time before we were next.”

The Somali federal government, backed by international partners, including the United States, has escalated its campaign against Al-Shabaab in recent months. The operation has combined ground offensives by Somali forces with precision airstrikes targeting Al-Shabaab leadership and training camps across southern and central Somalia.

Southwest State officials confirmed that the defectors will be processed through a regional rehabilitation program designed to help former militants reintegrate into society. The program includes counselling, vocational training, and support services as part of a broader national effort to weaken Al-Shabaab’s recruitment pipeline.

Al-Shabaab, an al-Qaida-linked group, has waged a violent insurgency in Somalia for more than 15 years. While it has lost territory to government forces, the group continues to carry out attacks across the country, particularly in rural areas where its influence remains entrenched.

Authorities urged other young fighters still aligned with the group to lay down their arms and take advantage of the amnesty and reintegration opportunities offered by the government.



 





Click here